Reactions

We're wrapping up a stay-at-home weekend that featured the usual purging and shredding. RV weekends are lots more fun! But, it's great to see some significant progress on our road to fulltiming. Our household inventory project is nearly finished, and I managed to assemble the first row of 9 in my it's-gotta-be-done-before-we-go monster quilt project. We also checked out one possible nearby campground that we might park ourselves in while the house is on the market. So much to do! We're getting there.

While our bodies were busy, our minds reflected on the many conversations we've had with friends recently where we've announced our fulltiming plans. (For a couple of people who are trying to keep our plans under wraps, we're sure talking about it alot!) While it's always fun to share this news, we're beginning to be more intrigued with the reaction we get.

The reactions tend to fall into one of two categories: "I don't get it" or "I want to do that."

When we hear "Sounds fun", we now think that really means "I don't get (or really care) what you're doing." And, since we've limited these conversations to family and very close friends, our money is on the fact that they don't understand. And, that's understandable!

One very recent conversation went something like this:

Natasha: "We're going to sell the house and most of our possessions, load up the RV and travel around the country for a few years."

Friend: "That sounds fun."

Having heard that response more than a time or two, I waited for the next comment:

Friend: "What are you going to do with your house?"

Was she not listening or not understanding? The flurry of questions that followed led me to believe she very much wanted to understand more about what we're up to. I answered her every question. Minutes later I heard the other type of response we hear.

Friend: "Wow! That would really be something to do. Good for you!"

That's one variation of the "I want to do that" response. A recent favorite was "You're living my dream!" While those responses are tad more encouraging than "Sounds fun", there's something very affirming in them. Maybe it's the recognition that we all have something that deep-down in our souls we really want to do. And, it's a special joy to see someone else following their soul's yearning. In those joyful moments there's more than encouragement and affirmation.

It's heart-warming.

3 comments:

Gordon Pierce said...

Boris and Natasha,

The reaction that makes me laugh every time I think about it came from one of my old co-workers who still wonders when "I am going to grow up and be responsible".

Responsible for what, I ask myself...maybe for him, I certainly hope not!! :-)

I spoke to him a couple of days ago and he asked if our long vacation is about over. What?? I told him it was just beginning.

People like this will never understand the joy of turning left or right at the next intersection on a whim...or the discoveries that we make every day about ourselves and the wonderful world around us.

And the FREEDOM!!!! What can I say??

Keep your eyes on the prize!!!!

Santa comes down the chimney tonight...we can hardly wait!!

Your friends (still on vacation),

Da Godfadda and Juanita

Bev and Dale said...

There are alot of us out here that are very excited about your fulltiming and can't wait until we get there as well. We love to hear about your preparation. We are 1-2 yrs behind you and can't wait. People think we are nuts for wanting to sell the house and take off in a RV. I would leave today but a teenage son does not see it our way. I understand he doesn't want to be stuck in a RV with 2 old people as he sees it. One day we will be free of the stress as we know it in the work world and on to bigger and better things. I am sure the money won't be there but I am fine with that.

Paul and Mary said...

G&J - Great story! Here's to FREEDOM!!!! We can't wait to hear what Santa brought you! :)

Bev - Welcome! Thanks so much for stopping by. Here's to bigger and better things and the people who think we're nuts! We know better, don't we? Hope you'll stop by again. If we can help you in your preparations, just ask!

Boris and Natasha