Shattered

Today was one of those days that was most definitely not short of excitement.

After a peaceful night in our "interesting" park, we were up and moving fairly early. We got ourselves together and headed to the nearby Cracker Barrel to meet Dee and Jim. Though Dee and I have chatted online several times over the course of the last year or so, we'd never met in person. So, our meeting today was much anticipated by all. Dee and Jim have been planning their fulltiming journey for four years, and right now they are patiently awaiting the arrival of their brand spanking new rolling home. They are on the eve of some very exciting changes in their lives, and their enthusiasm about it all definitely shows! Over tasty biscuits and gravy we talked about each others preparations and plans. After breakfast they followed us to the campground for a grand tour of the moose. We had a great time showing the place off and comparing notes. Dee and Jim were very fun to talk with. Our time together passed much too quickly, and soon it was time to let them enjoy the rest of their weekend and for us to hit the road. We look forward to seeing this delightful couple on the road again soon.

The late start to our travels was perfect, since we had a mere 170 miles to go today, and all of it was on the interstate. In no time, we were heading into Richmond, our first big city in quite awhile. As we were maneuvering toward downtown, I looked out my window from the co-captain's seat to take in the city view when, in a microsecond, we were startled by a loud POP! as the window I was peering through shattered into a million pieces.

Can you say "Scary"?

Paul maintained control of the moose and fired off two questions in a single breath: Are you OK? And, What hit us?

Thankfully, I was OK. Auto glass is designed to shatter and and hold together, and this stuff did it's job. As to his second question, I answered with complete authority. "Nothing!" I had my eye on that window the last second it was in one piece and nothing hit it. It just exploded! It was like it suddenly became pressurized and just popped.

It was the weirdest thing.

My concern was Paul's ability to see our right side mirror. After all, there was a pane of shattered glass between him and it. But, he assured me he could see just fine. (Thanks for the little white lie, dear. I needed that!) With just 15 miles left to our destination, we held our collective breaths that everything would hold together long enough for us to get parked. We arrived at the Americamps-becoming-a-KOA campground with everything else in one piece. We had enough adrenaline pumping, though, to run a marathon!

Luckily, we just so happen to be camped about three miles away from a Winnebago dealer. (Coincidence?) We'll pay a visit over there tomorrow and see if we can find ourselves a new one.

5 comments:

squawmama said...

Wow that was weird... I know soon it will be fixed but I am curious as to why it happened... How wonderful that you got to meet Jim & Dee... I am anxiously awaiting a time when I'll meet one of our blogging buddies... Perhaps it'll be you guys... LOL Have a fun time and I hope your window gets fixed soon...

Travel Safely
Donna

Margie M. said...

Wow, that must have been scary. Good thing your safe driver managed to keep things together after such a startling moment. Good job. Hope you have good luck at the Winnebago dealer.

Roadrunner Chronicles said...

Wow - that is scary! Glad you are ok. Hope your window gets repaired soon and that they can tell you how or why it happened. Never heard of that before this.

Happytrails said...

Oh my goodness!! I am glad you all are ok. That can be very scary and I'm glad all held together till you could get to your site. I hope you can get it fixed soon and they can tell you what happened. Please let us all know.....it could happen to any of us.
Glad you had such a good visit with Jim and Dee. Like Donna, we are looking forward to meeting other RVing friends down the road.
Stay safe!!
Gerri

Gordon Pierce said...

Obviously, we're just happy to hear that you are OK.

A lot of windows in rigs are stress components and can shatter with no provocation whatsoever. Weird things have been known to happen.

Even though it caused a little bump in your day, at least it was a side and not a front window!! :-)

Take care...and enjoy your day,

Da Godfadda and his bride