Carded

We've arrived safely in Mission, ready to spend five weeks in the RGV.

Actually, we're lucky to be here.

After our 200-mile drive we pulled into the park we placed our reservations with six months ago. While Paul unhooked the squirrel, I stepped inside the office to register. The lovely woman behind the counter put a stack of papers in front of me. Two of them required me to sign my name and attest that at least one of us was at least 55 years old. Just as I was ready to place my 52-year-old signature on the dotted line, the lady asked for my driver's license.

That's right. I was carded!

Unsure what to do at this point, I decided to speak the truth.

"We're 52," I said. "We didn't know!"

Those simple words threw the lovely lady behind the counter into a tailspin. She called for a manager. I imagined us spending tonight at the Walmart a mile or so down the road, all because we are underage!

The manager arrived with a smile and waited patiently for everyone to clear out of the office.

"When you made your reservation," she asked calmly "did we ask you how old you are?"

"Uh, no." I replied.

She swore me to secrecy and asked me to promise to tell anyone we meet that we are 55 years old. I agreed, and with that we had a place for the next five weeks.

Such is the life of an early retiree!

Now that we're all settled in to our home for the next five weeks, we're noticing we're a wee bit tired. Could it be the normal stress of a travel day? Maybe. Or, it could be something else, which Paul captured earlier this evening.

"I've aged three years today!"

Man, that'll really wear a person out!

And, whatever you do. Please, don't tell anybody!

9 comments:

ANT-zee said...

Gee Whilikers, you're not going to be able to tell anyone about this blog!! yikers...

Margie M. said...

Funny story! They probably just wanted to make sure people with that 3-letter word don't show up. You know the word...KID. You'll be good to go because those furry kids of your don't count. :)

Cats? Is it furry or hairy?

Have fun in Mission. We've marked that area as a place to go someday.

Gypsy said...

I can't believe they actually asked to see your driver's license to check your age! Sounds like age discrimination in reverse to me, lol. You may expect to pull that d/l back out at the liquor store!

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

If you want you can have three of Donna & My years, we will still have enought to be over the 55 limit, Have fun, it is nice to retire early, I did But my beautiful bride is hanging in for little longer. Sam & Donna..

roamingwhenwecan said...

Just too funny Nat.. I know alot of the parks are age oriented here in the Valley. I wasn't asked our age either..

Tumbleweed Dee said...

That's so funny! I guess since they didn't ask ahead of time you lucked out. Have fun for the next five weeks. Lucky you.

Kenny And Angela's Adventure said...

I would take it as a complement that you must look so young.Great story have a ball.

Gordon Pierce said...

Dis is da way it's done in da hood!!!! :-)

Da Godfadda

Sue and Doug said...

congrats on reaching a good retirement age..if only those years will go that quickly for us!..enjoy your stay..better take a nap or two..or maybe a game of bingo??