The Last Spot

We're out of here in 11 days, 12 hours and 15 minutes. But, who's counting? Meanwhile, I'm pleased to report that our Spring and Summer travel plans are taking shape. With a mere 10 weeks to get from Mission to Idaho, we have places to go, people to see and many things to do.

Chief among them, we need to think about the holidays.

Our Memorial Day plans will take us back to one of our favorite spots along the California coast, in Fort Bragg. Knowing that's an area that's in high demand on holiday weekends, I decided to make a reservation today. With no online reservation capabilities, a phone call was required to make the deal. After sharing all of the pertinent information, I heard a familiar line.

"I'm putting you in the last spot we have," said the cheery voice on the coast.

Really?

In our newbie fulltiming career we've learned a few things. One thing is that, when it comes to holiday weekends and wintering in Texas, reservations are a must. And, the earlier the better. The other is that when you're heading to a popular part of the country, you can just about bet that when you call to make said reservation you'll be told you're getting the last spot.

It happened last summer when I made reservations for a month this winter in Port Aransas. Arriving at that park, the place was maybe two-thirds full. And, turns out, lots of our fellow campers were told they were getting the last spot, too. We all felt so fortunate!

And, it happened again last summer when I made reservations for our spot here in Mission. Then I was told something just a bit different. I was nabbing "one of the last spots" in the park. And, again, upon arrival we quickly discovered that wasn't really so.

Do they teach this stuff in Campground Owner School? I can hear the teacher now: "Make the customer feel oh so fortunate to be staying in your park by telling him/her that he/she is getting the last spot."

Well, that might work. But, let me tell you. After you've heard it once or twice, it gets old. Fast.

But, still, come Memorial Day weekend, we will be oh so glad to have a reservation!

4 comments:

Sue and Doug said...

another good line to say back.."i was born at night..not last night"..how great that you are making your summer plans..and that you are counting down your escape from the RGV..enjoy the last few days..and "keep your eyes peeled"

Margie M. said...

Hope you enjoy your holiday on the coast, it should be a lot of fun

Even when we just did long-time RV living (not yet FT living) we could forget what day of the week it was or even what WEEK it was. We were near Minneapolis back in 1997 and called a place for a campsite for a couple of nights. Sold out. Called another. Sold out. By the third call we found out it was the 4th of July holiday. Duh! Try getting a spot...last or otherwise....in the middle of the 4th of July holiday. Another lesson learned!

Keep blogging about your experiences, it is fun to read all about them.

Gordon Pierce said...

M&P,

We were unable to get even the last spot along the shores of Lake Michigan just east of Chicago...why you might ask?

Dummy me, I had no idea that it was the Columbus Day Holiday. The what????

I guess just about anything is a holiday to someone these days.

Enjoy Pomo and have a nice meal at Egghead's Cafe and wonderful dining at the Rendezvous Inn.

Enjoy your last 10 days + in the RGV....

Da Godfadda

Happytrails said...

Glad you guys are going to be on the move very shortly. I know you are excited. Enjoy the remainder of your time in the RGV.

Thanks for the headsup on the holiday reservations. We have Memorial Day covered but there are others.

We are still trying to get our plans pulled together. Hope that we can meet up somewhere down the road. Would love to meet you guys.

Mike and Gerri (http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com)