Weekender Speak

I'm so pleased to report the forecasters were wrong. YEAH! Today turned out to be sunny and in the mid-60s. It's not Florida beach weather, but it'll definitely work.

This beautiful day was perfect for watching the weekenders come in. This campground is very popular and the campers were backed up waiting for their turn to check in and move to their sites. Then, the real fun began.

We call it "Weekender Speak".

We could hear it all around the park this afternoon. A loud voice pierced the quiet. "I said LEFT! No, LEFT!!!!!!" Moments later, another clash: "WHAT? WHAT? HUH?" Then, "That's GOOD!"

Walking through the park, we watched families setting up for the first weekend of the season. "Do we have electricity?" chimed one lady as she snapped up her pop up. "Where does this thing go?" asked another camper. "I THOUGHT I packed that, but now I'm not sure," proclaimed another.

For us, it was a bit like hearing a foreign language in our native land. Once upon a time we may have talked that way. But, these days, we back up the moose with nary a word. Setting up is second nature. And, thankfully, we have everything with us, so we never worry about what we did or didn't pack. But, for these weekenders, this is part of the drill, especially on the first weekend of the summer.

The weekender exchange that was the most telling was heard throughout the campground. It went something like this.

"Wait."

"WAIT!"

"I SAID WAIT!!!!"

Crunch.

What a way to start a holiday weekend. Have a good one!

9 comments:

MargieAnne said...

Sounds just like campgrounds here, (New Zealand) on December 26th.

Gordon Pierce said...

B&N,

It was much the same here at Red Rock...except for the fact that owner Gordon and host Johnny Rocket take all the fun out of the parking exercise.

It's wonderful to see the "regular folks" out camping again, but not wonderful to see snow falling again this morning. :-) This will be a May for the record books in my mind...snow, snow and more snow.

Please bring the sun with you next week!!! Da Godfadda is down on his knees begging at this point!!! Juanita said that is a sight to behold. LOL!

We look forward to seeing you soon...safe travels!

Da Godfadda

Anonymous said...

NAT!!! That's exactly why we try to get in the park BEFORE everyone else..no one sees or hears us...and then we can sit back and laugh at their foibles!!! Learned it from my Daddy...get there before and leave after!

Sue and Doug said...

sounds like you are enjoying the entertainment??..we agree with Hembree..get there early and watch the show!!..we have been laughed at in our day too..crash bang wait pull out and start again.!!

Merikay said...

I dread the day we have to back up! We don't have a rig yet, but I'm planing on getting professional driving lessons when we do!

On any trip we have taken, with rented RV or any other means, I always figured if we forgot something, we could either do without, or buy it!

Happytrails said...

Such a funny post!! It is sooooo true. This campground is almost full and we have sat outside and watch all the fun. Mike laughs at all the stuff folks bring....they bring the kitchen sink and all the Camping World extras. $$$

In a few more hours the first outing of the season will be over and we can watch them leave. Free entertainment....who could ask for more???

Have fun!!
Mike & Gerri

Prettypics123 said...

I look forward to following you. Come visit at http://levonneandjohnscaliforniaodyssey.blogspot.com/

KarenInTheWoods said...

Heh heh... it is funny to watch! Steve is a great backer-upper and can get things to stop on a dime, exactly where he plans them. I use hand signals if need be to watch for overhanging tree branches or to watch for any kids or dumb adults darting behind the motorhome as he backs up. That happens a lot more than you think!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

RVVagabond said...

Watching and listening to others set up is still one of our favorite things. Even experienced RVers do weird things, like the couple next to us that didn't chock their wheels before unhitching their fifth wheel. Scary.