Downtime

Even in this amazing, wonderful lifestyle, everybody needs a little downtime. We’re soaking up all we can get right here a few miles north of Newberry, somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

Truth is, we’ve been busy! It’s all “good busy”, of course. We’ve been blessed with lots of play dates with friends and family and beautiful sights to see. And, we love it all!! That said, our calendar has been full since...let’s see...May 1st! No wonder we’re tired!

We were a bit apprehensive about this campground. Our first choice for a chill out spot, right on the shore of Lake Superior, was booked. So were all of the surrounding parks. Seems this is the week everyone from the Lower P heads to the UP for a last blast of Summer. When this campground -- a bit farther from the sights we want to see up here -- had an opening, I grabbed it. Then, I read the reviews. (Yes, that is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has already run away!) Laurie and Odel gave it a “neutral”. The recent reviews on rvparkreviews.com were mixed, but had a consistent theme: The place has a reputation for having some funky rules. We lowered our expectations and hit the road to Newberry.

Turns out, the place does have some weird rules. But, it’s quiet and peaceful. Well, at least we thought so. This morning, as we were enjoying some serious downtime, there was a knock at our door. Paul went to the door and was greeted by three little neighbor kids. They wanted to tell us one of our cats was looking at them. (Don’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing, but apparently it’s knock-worthy.) They were also looking for somebody to ride bikes with them. Paul gave them a “maybe later” and came back in. Fifteen minutes passed. Apparently, that’s “later” to a kid. They knocked again.

“Are you ready?” asked the urchin at the bottom of our steps. Paul explained that he was busy and couldn’t play right now. They offered to help him complete his chores. He thanked them for their offer to help, but turned them down and sent them off. Over the next hour they stopped by several times. Finally, Paul asked them not to knock on our door anymore. These insistent playmates have obviously not yet mastered the fine art of downtime.

We, on the other hand, are seriously working on it!

8 comments:

Merikay said...

Maybe their Mom and Dad were taking a "nap."

What no movies to send the kids to in the campground!

Tumbleweed Dee said...

I'm rolling on the floor laughing. That's so funny. We have a ton of kids but so far we never see them during the day and they're quiet at night. Maybe they're in the lake Michigan. Thanks for the great laugh of the day.

Margie M. said...

Ah, Gee. I think Paul should have gone outside to ride bikes with the neighbor kids. Maybe they could have started a lemonade stand too. Just a thought.

Laurie and Odel said...

Downtime - so important, eh? A point in Newberry's favor: it is a good place to kick back and do nothing... once you tell the kids to leave you alone! :) Be sure to eat at Brown's Fish House in Paradise if you pass that way (and like fresh fish).

Safe travels,
Laurie
Writing from Duluth, MN

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Gee! You didn't decorate the outside of the coach as a gingerbread house -did you! :)

Sue and Doug said...

funny!!!..I can see Paul closing the door in their faces!!..enjoy the downtime!!!

The Frugal Travelers said...

Hi, Gypsy told me about your blog and suggested that I read it. Loved the kids knocking on the door bit. Where are there parents? I just started a blog on blogspot, but have been writing on mytripjournal for over 2 years. I have added your site to my blog, but if you would rather I didn't please let me know. Thanks for a good laugh, Pidge

RVVagabond said...

So Paul won't come out to play, huh? Bad Paul! Heh.

I've had campground managers complain when I've told them I checked rvparkreviews for info on their park as they have apparently gotten poor/bad reviews. It's all subjective, really. One wants quiet, another wants lots of planned activities, another needs kids' stuff around for visiting grandkids, others don't want to be anywhere around kids. And so it goes. So I take the reviews with a grain of salt. Except for mine of course--hee!