That would be us!
Our first two days here were rainy, which was perfect. We were ready for a couple of days of just sittin', so we were happy. We had a bunch of stuff to catch up on. (There are a bunch of new posts on Bullwinkle's Travels. Check 'em out!) Plus, there were people we were eager to meet.
Back when fulltiming for us was just an idea, we searched far and wide for folks who were already out there doing it. One of the couples that was doing it like we wanted to was Gary and Vicki. Early one Saturday morning in Oakland, I plopped on a sofa with a quilt, a cup of coffee and my laptop. I clicked on their trip journal, We're Wingin' It, and started at the beginning. I followed their preparations in 2006 to their launch in 2007 and their adventures through 2008. I devoured the entire journal, some two years at the time, in one day. I was inspired!
We've followed Gary and Vicki regularly since, and for the last several months we've been trying to track them down. We just missed them at Red Rock, and had hopes of visiting them in Yellowstone but the weather didn't cooperate. A couple of weeks ago we read that they were heading to Niagara Falls. Turns out we'd all be in the same area for a morning! Gary and Vicki offered to stop by our park on their way out of town Monday for a quick hello over brunch. That would definitely work!
We've mentioned it here several times, about how we meet bloggers for the first time and feel like we've known them forever. Our Monday morning meeting was no exception. When we saw "Phae" pull into our park, we could just feel it: Friends had arrived. Meeting these two good people we'd only read about was such a treat. They are as warm and delightful as we had imagined. We dashed across the street and enjoyed a Greek breakfast of interesting, and tasty, food and extra helpings of great conversation and laughter. The time passed quickly, of course, and before long it was time to get these new friends back on the road. We look forward to seeing them again and thank them so much for making time to stop, especially on a travel day. Godspeed!
We saw the sun, at last, yesterday. But, a trip to the falls was not to be. We are shopping for health insurance. It's a pain in the neck. And, that's all I have to say about that.
But, today is a new day. The sun is shining and we are done just sittin'. Besides, we're leaving tomorrow. So, today is the day. We're going to head to the falls just as soon as I finish this post.
So, bye for now!


4 comments:
Oh, please, please, please let me read that you took the Maid of the Mist boat ride. It was our very, very favorite part of our brief visit to Niagara Falls. The POWER of the falls - we laughed aloud with JOY as we stood on the deck in our blue plastic ponchos.
Safe travels!
I love meeting readers. We had one come to our door just last week. A really nice young man wanting to start the full-timing life style.
I really enjoyed meeting you a few months back! Real people doing what I dreamed. Over the months I feel like I have gotten to know several of the bloggers, both full timers and those still in the prep years.
I have dates to meet a few in the coming months as they pass thru my area.
Re health insurance: Don't short yourself with a minimal policy. I did that a few years ago and it was terrible to try to get back into a good plan once I realized my mistake.
Even though you may feel fit and healthy, it can change quickly. I never expected to get hit with breast cancer, and when it was diagnosed and treated I was glad I had a good health plan.
The cost of what they covered will pay my premiums for a couple of years!
Good luck on the hunt. They are all blood suckers.
Sure wish we could have connected when you were in Iron Mountain... perhaps next time we can meet up. Looking forward to pics of Niagara Falls! I was there about 20 years ago and would love to see it again.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment