Perspective

We're enjoying our last night in Crossville. No football tonight. Instead, we've enjoyed a casual early dinner inside and have plans to get up and going early. After all, Gaffney awaits.

We're bringing this visit to one of our favorite spots to a close with a bit of perspective. During our stay we met a lovely couple a couple of sites down. They are older and obviously not in good health. They're from Sikeston, Missouri. (We just drove through there a couple of days ago!) They are staying here a week. And, for them it's a notable one.

This lovely couple is taking their last trip. They have a beautiful Holiday Rambler fifth wheel trailer that, they say, has sat idle for the last three years. They reported that their health has kept them off the road. Recently, they made the tough decision to sell the trailer and stay home. It's obvious that he is not entirely on board. She, on the other hand, is very clear. She needs to stay home.

During our brief conversations they made note of our Texas plates and Paul's Maui t-shirt and shared memories of their travels over the years to both states. They are, first and foremost, travelers. They've loved their time traveling the planet. And, here in the peaceful confines of Crossville, Tennesee, their travels are coming to an end.

After this trip, the fiver will be sold. They'll take care of themselves and each other in the comfortable confines of home. They've spent the last few days parting friends with the road.

They've been so interested and intrigued by our story. Here we are, newbie fulltimers in a pretty new motorhome. (Who cares if it's falling apart?) We have our whole lives ahead of us. We're where they were once upon a time. Each time we've come or gone from this lovely spot they've greeted us with a warm smile and a wave. We have definitely felt the love.

If it's possible to pass a virtual torch, these lovely folks have done it. As they return home and we head up and over the mountains, we get that our job right now is to explore. Our duty is to experience our country and soak it all up until our last trip. Then, one day, the time will come for us to pass the torch to another youngish couple in a pretty new rig.

Today, our pesky motorhome is a bit less irritating. It'll all work out. Right now, we have a job to do.

And, we're definitely up for it.

5 comments:

Sue and Doug said...

that truly does put it into perspective!..what a great tribute to the the lovely couple who are sad to say so long to highway... and you are a fine couple to carry the torch until it is time to pass it on to another newbie!

Margie M. said...

We met a couple in their 80's up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This was back in 1997. There were traveling in a giant Airstream trailer. It, too, was their last trip with the trailer. The man said it was just getting to be too much for him. He also said they had lost their enthusiasm for traveling. Happens to everyone eventually.

Carry your torch proudly!

Merikay said...

I patiently wait for our "first" trip as full timers. I wonder about the occupants of every big RV that I see on highway 17. Where are they going. Who are they.

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

We are the same way,I can't wait to say audios to the Prairie. I remember as a kid I would watch the passenger trains roar by and all the people in the windows, and I would wonder where they were going and wish that I could be on the train to share their adventures. Now when I see an RV on the highway pass me I have the same feeling and I wish I could look up in the mirror and see our 5th wheel following us on some adventure, to who cares where. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

KarenInTheWoods said...

That brought tears to my eyes....

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/