Comments have been a common topic in the blogosphere lately. To read them or not, write them or not, allow them or not, moderate them or not, respond to them or not, and like them or not. By the looks of things, comments can get complicated!
I've read more comments in the last few days than ever. The tragic deaths of Bruce and Margie have everyone talking. Margie's daughter's posts have generated more than 200 comments. And, I've read every one. Most of my blogging buddies have shared their thoughts about the loss of these two beautiful souls. And, every post has generated comments. Again, I've read every one. As my buds shared reflections about Margie, everyone mentioned how much she commented on their blogs and how much they loved hearing from her. Margie was a prolific commenter! She left many comments on our two blogs. I've gone back and read several of them over the last few days. I found myself looking for a response from her on my last post. But, of course, it's not to be.
All this has made me think about how little I comment. I'm a voracious reader of blogs, but I'm a lousy commenter. I think about things to say, but I usually don't. Why? I'm going to blame it on my iphone. (I blame it for lots of things, so I'll just add this to the list.) I do most of my blog reading on my iphone, which makes it super easy to keep up to date with my blogging friends. But, when it comes to writing on the iphone, I'm all thumbs. It takes me five minutes to type five words! That makes commenting a real challenge.
Comments transform a blog from a one-way communication vehicle to a many-way conversation. Some folks may just want to stand on their blog podiums and preach. And, I suppose that's fine. But, I find it much more interesting to be a part of conversations. Lots of them.
So, I'm going to be a better commenter! I'm going to read blogs at my nifty laptop with this wonderful keyboard where all my fingers can go to work. I'll let the comments fly! And, I'll respond to comments on our blogs. I won't comment just to comment. I'll do my best to foster conversation and acknowledge the work of my fellow bloggers.
For the record, I like comments. So, they'll be here on both blogs, completely unmoderated with no password required. I read every one, of course. And, now, I'll do my very best to respond.
Let's keep the conversation going!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


26 comments:
Yes, let's be better commenters, I'm like you, only I don't have an I-phone to blame, just "laziness" - and I'll work on that! Thanks for your thoughts and comments!
I guess I was the most recent commenter who wasn't going to comment anymore. I like to give and receive comments, so I'm gradually getting back into it. The main gripe I had was that personal attacks on the comment or commenter (or original post) are out of order, whether or not they were "intended in fun". I just didn't want to subject myself to that any more, but hey, if ya want to really be alive you have to get into the ring!
Comments are what makes blogging worthwhile. I hate talking to myself! LOL
I am the same way - I usually think of something to say when I read a blog, but I only comment maybe half the time. I will try to do better too! :)
I don't write a blog but I do read them. I like to comment if I read something interesting and your blog is very interesting.
I have just started reading Margie and Bruce's blog and so wish that I had started sooner so I could comment on her posts. They are very interesting and entertaining.
I actually found out that they were right here in my hometown last year visiting family. I wish I had met them. I think we had alot in common.
Like you & some of the other commenters, I tend to think of things I want to say & then for some reason or other don't get around to writing it. My excuse is that I'm usually in a hurry when I read the blogs & I think I'll go back later, but never do!!!!! Will start to do better!!!!
Well said. I decided a while back to try to comment more on others' blogs. I think it has enhanced my relationships with these folks. You can never have too many friends. :)
I'm always excited when someone leaves a comment on my blog...but I seldom leave any. Lazy? Probably, but I also haven't figured out how to do it without needing to sign in at so many places and I hate when you have to write in a word verifiction. Lazy? Absolutely! By the way...I love your blog!!
I was so surprised today when you left a comment on my blog..Doug and I were talking on the way home from work about how shocked we were that you had made a comment..I always wondered if you actually read it?..and then I read your blog today and here you are discussing comments and the whys and why nots..how weird is that?..great post by the way and I am glad you are going to start commenting more..Margie would be proud!..I love comments..especially when I do a post that I think..'oh no one will care about this one?..and thats when I get lots..some you just hit a 'nerve' I guess....
take care of yourselves..hugs to you both!!..and thanks for being out there!..we miss you both!
Great post! I to have been thinking about all the times Margie has commented on our post and always enjoy all comments we received. I to will try and be a better commenter.
I agree that comments make the whole process more interesting and personal. Sounds like a plan to me.
Right on Natasha!
Da Godfadda
I look for new comments several times a day. Yet I keep saying that I don't really Blog for anyone but me.
I realised after losing Margie and Bruce how much her comments meant to me. I've thought about my Blog I'm growing a new attitude. Margie has had a profound influence on my life.
I don't comment a lot but that's because I read too many Blogs and run out of time.
Like you I have read as many of the expressions of sympathy and tributes I could find. It has helped me through the sharpness of the shock and Grief. I will always remember this time and how one lady who Blogged touched so many hearts just being herself.
I like to know how others are doing and let them know I am reading and enjoying what they write. Many times when I am having an off day,just reading about others will bring me up, Keep on commenting it will make others happy, Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.
Hey, everybody! I think we're on to something!!!!
Y'all have some real energy behind this. Waa-HOO!
It's wonderful to hear from you. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings.
Gypsy, I couldn't agree more about personal attacks. Disagreements are welcome. But, attacks? I say "Take it outside!"
And, Sue. Of course I read your blog! I hope my future comments are less shocking!!
Here I sit, with laptop and coffee in hand. Time to go forth and comment! Have a great day!
Well said. Everyone likes to recieve comments. When I recieve a comment, I know that someone out there is taking time to read my post.
Travel Safe
Opps, hit the wrong button. I'm also planning to post comments more often, let people I care about know that can only be a good thing. Great getting to spend some time with you guys, travel safe.
Lately, I've been commenting more than I've been blogging so I guess I'm doing something right?
It's a good idea! And I know what you mean about reading them on your phone... I do the same sometimes!
Hey we would love to try and hook up while your here in Nov. Here is my e-mail to get in touch.
nomojo1952@gmail.com
I try to leave comments most of the time, even if it is just a "I agree" with everyone else. Sometimes I don't leave a comment if the blog already has many or if there are 100+ followers. I figure that blogger doesn't need my few words.
Some days I would like a feature like Myspace has. You give Kudus. Then you can read a blog, let the blogger know you were there.
I too was surprised to see your comment on my blog. Thank you.
I like leaving comments and love getting them too on my blog...
but often I get so carried away reading more and more blogs, suddenly I will have 10 or 15 tabs open of blogs I read that I have not replied to yet!
(LOL right now I have 12 of them open besides yours!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/
Same here Mary, usually read blogs in the morning, think about commenting then say to myself that's the stupidest thing I've ever say then don't post a comment.
Stay Safe
Wow, what a blog! I love getting comments, makes me want to keep blogging. There's so many times I didn't think it would be worth writing and those are the times I hear from several people. Even if it's only one, it's worth it. I've used the blogs many times to see when or what we did on a certain day. We're coming up to a year on the road it's worth the blogging and seeing the comments. Yours is great. Keeps me going.
My blog is pretty new and not all that interesting yet, mainly dealing with my search for an RV. I tend to only leave comments on others blogs when I have something contructive to say. Hopefully my blog will get better with the planned changes and announcements.
I am exactly 3 years too late, but with your post, I wanted you to know that I am reading your adventure from the start. I know you're not fulltiming anymore, but what a fun read! We start our adventure March 2014. Only 4 shorts months. I hope you see this and know that you guys are helping us want it more!
Deb (who hasn't started a blog yet........)
Post a Comment