Network Maintenance

We're both still hacking at our house. It's not pretty, but we're definitely getting better. We missed some really fun social activities over the weekend thanks to this crud. But, we're trying not to dwell on that.

With gobs of time on our hands, we've done more than our fair share of surfing the net the last few days. Along the way, we've taken care of a little network maintenance here and there.

From the "You'll Never Believe Who We Connected With" Department, Paul and I connected with a "kid" from our old neighborhood. We were sitting around last night thinking about "the good ol' days" and this kid's name came up. Once upon a time, I babysat this kid and his siblings. But, it's been ages since we've connected. So, of course, I "googled" him and, thanks to his uncommon name, he was easy to spot. Turns out he's an accomplished PhD! (I'm sure that's do in large part to the influence of his favorite babysitter!) Anyway, I shot him a crazy e-mail and he shot back. It was him and he was oh-so-pleased to hear from us after a gazillion years.

I'm still whirling at the idea that someone I babysat is now a 48-year-old PhD!

With that connection made, I decided to pay some attention to my online social network. A bazillion years ago I met the folks who conceived of the idea of LinkedIn. As a result, I signed on early. I really pay little attention to this network these days. It's funny. As soon as I was no longer working no one wanted to connect with me anymore! OK. So, I might be over dramatizing just a tad. I had noticed that my ex-boss was spouting some pablum on LinkedIn. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands. It's been nearly two years since I was on the man's payroll. So, why was I still connected to him? Good question! In a matter of minutes I logged onto LinkedIn and removed that connection.

I'm feeling better already!

After that, I moved to Facebook. I've been moving in that online circle for over a year with an assumed name. It's a long story that I don't really want to share. But, the bottom line is today I decided I was done living life as a Facebook alias. So, I logged in and changed my name to the real thing.

I'm feeling better already!

Whew! After all this network maintenance, I'm tired. Time for a good night's rest. After all, I've been sick. It's important to rest up.

Night all.

7 comments:

Fred and Wilma said...

well good for you for coming out of the 'hidey hole'..welcome to the real world..me?..still hiding..have a good sleep..hope you feel better soon and are back doing all the social things you have been missing!

heyduke50 said...

look out world... self empowerment can be dangerous :)

squawmama said...

I saw the facebook change... I figured you vanted to be found!!! My husband has had the crud for 5 weeks... finally going to the doctor today for it! Hope you both get better really soon.
Have fun & Travel safe
Donna

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. We spend a lot of time in our MH because it is sooo cold. I like facebook. I found a Mary W without a picture. Is that you ? I am under my real name ,and there is only one me. We could be friends.

Anneke

Donna McNicol said...

I've had an online presence for many years but was still a bit slow in adding the Facebook Badge with my "full,real,name" to my blog. Not sure if anyone has used the link but I saw more and more other bloggers doing it. You just never know who might want to connect. LOL! Welcome to the FB identity-crisis group.

Merikay said...

Last year I reconnected with my high school pen pal in the UK. He had Google me and we exchanged emails. It was fun. I had Googled his name a couple of times, but didn't come up with anything. I guess it's the value of having an uncommon name ... Merikay

Tom and Marci said...

Hope you guys are feeling better soon!

I haven't even embraced the social network scene yet (alias or not!), but probably will soon so that the kids can get accounts, too. That seems to be the way all their friends are keeping in touch with each other.

Marci