Dial Up

One of the reasons we’re moving across town tomorrow is this park’s wifi, or lack thereof. To say it’s “hit or miss” would be kind. It’s actually more “miss” than “hit”. A lot more. With no AT&T 3G service in Gunnison, our aircard is useless. So, we’ve not stayed particularly well connected this month.

Yesterday afternoon found me wandering across the park, with laptop in hand, searching for a signal. As I sat on a picnic table in the shade, I watched our cute little four-year-old neighbor Jonathan pedal by on his bike. His young mother was walking not too far behind. We exchanged pleasantries and she asked if I had found a “hotspot”. I replied that I was lucky enough to be connected, but the speed was far from hot.

“I grew up with dial-up,” she smiled with an eye roll that implied that was a long time ago. “Once you have high-speed internet, it’s tough to go back.”

“Sure is,” I replied, suddenly feeling quite old.

You see, I didn’t grow up with dial-up. I was an early adopter at 30! Even as an “old fart”, it’s still tough to tolerate slower than snot, miss and hit internet service in the 21st Century.

I shared the story with Paul, who offered a quick quip that was supposed to make me feel better...I think.

“You didn’t grow up with dial-up,” he said. “But, when you were growing up phones actually had dials!”

True. True.

Speaking of dial ups, Paul’s phone rang just after 7:00 this morning. It was Forest City calling. We recently returned a customer satisfaction survey sent to us by Winnebago. The survey asks new Winnie owners to report on areas where their new motorhome has required service, their satisfaction with that service and the motorhome overall.

As we went through the survey, we realized we’ve had more than our fair share of service issues with our new Winnie. Most have been mentioned here, but we’ve spared you the details of a few others. By the time we completed the survey we were feeling pretty darn unsatisfied! There was a space at the bottom of the form that asked if we’d like to talk to someone about our responses. Paul said yes. This morning, somebody at Winnebago called.

Receiving that phone call impressed us. It would have been easy not to make the call, and we probably would have eventually forgotten we’d made the request. The call lasted about an hour.

We’ll spare you the details of that conversation. We’re not exactly sure how things are going to work out. But, suffice it to say that Winnebago has the opportunity to delight these less-than-satisfied two-time purchasers of their product. We’ll see if they do. We’re waiting for them to dial us up again and let us know.

We’ll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Tom and Marci said...

What was life like without internet . . . it didn't exist in my "growing up" years either, but how quickly we get used to it!

We actually saw a few "pay phones" on our last trip . . . talk about non-existant!

I hope Winnebago takes this opportunity to delight you. When we had our Itasca Class C, we were very happy with their Customer Service. If we ever go back to a motorhome (which we likely will someday), Winnebago would be at the top of our list.

Sue and Doug said...

life without wifi!..talk about roughin' it!!..now you know how we feel about Winnebago!..hope they come through for you guys!!..

Merikay said...

I remember being amazed by the first calculator I saw. Craig has been in the computer field since he was in college 46 years ago. I remember him telling me that someday people would have computers in their homes, I couldn't imagine why!

squawmama said...

Yupper... life without wifi is NOT fun!!! Winnebago has always been more then helpful to & for us. We bought a new coach in 2005... ordered it just like we wanted it and when it was delivered it was a lemon to say the least BUT Winnebago went out of there way to make thing sright for us. I hope they do that for you too. Of course we spent about 5-6 weeks there until it was right!!! There was a lot wrong with it.
Have fun & Keep safe
Donna

Sue said...

I feel your pain with the lack of internet service. We have been tethered to my cell for most of the last two months and it sure does get old. I am "this" close to buying a Verizon Mi-fi, but for various reasons I have to wait until December. Ugh. I am not sure I'll survive. It seems like more and more RV parks have really lousy Wi-fi. Probably too many people downloading movies or something.