National Novel Writing Month is held each November. Last year I thought about it. This year, I've decided to do it.
You see, I've been working on my Great American Novel for over a year now, on and off. (Actually, it's been more off than on.) With NaNoWriMo, I have the great pleasure of joining thousands of professional and wannabe writers in penning my "Great Frantic Novel".
My mission, which I've fully accepted, is to write 50,000 words. That's about 175 pages. In 30 days. In keeping with the spirit of the month, this project is about quantity, not quality. (I'm going to have to remind myself of that.) This novel doesn't have to be good. It simply has to be done.
So, I'm doing it. My hope is this marathon will get my creative juices flowing and reinvigorate my desire to write the real thing. The discipline of writing every day will be good for me. Besides, I love it. The feeling of finishing a novel (even a crappy one) in a month will be joyous.
If I had to pick a month to try to write a novel, November would be my last choice. It's the second half of our annual visit to our old hometown. The doctor stuff is pretty much out of the way, but that's been replaced with a growing list of commitments and to-dos that will keep us running until our departure date. And, oh yeah. There's a holiday in there, too.
Even though it's not the best month, November is the month of this challenge. So, I've taken it on. The reason I'm sharing this news here is two-fold: First, I don't think I'll have the time or energy to do any blogging on top of my novel-writing. So, both blogs will be on hiatus during the month. (They already have been. I'm just making it official.) Second, this makes my goal pretty public. Now that y'all know about this, if I don't do it, I can just imagine how embarrassed I'll be.
Dear reader, did you have any idea how motivating you are?
I have many words to churn out today, and these don't count. So, I'll close.
See you after I reach "The End".


11 comments:
I want to read it.
Couldn't you post chapters as blog entries?? :) Is this a who-dun-it, or romance, or what? Inquiring minds want to know...
What a great challenge for yourself. Good luck and I'm with Judy and Emma--can we have bits and pieces to read?
Good for you..Good luck~
Good Luck with it! I'm envious of you taking it on! I've been told I should attempt the same thing, but lack a topic to begin with.
I find many errors in the books I read. I often wonder about those authors' proof readers... just sayin'!
I think Judy's idea of posting chapters is a good one! We promise not to be to critical, knowing it is a challenge write.
good for you for embracing this challenge!..don't think I could do it but we all know you will do it!!
Good Luck with it and and I'm with Judy and Emma, would love to read it!
Good luck and I wish you well! It sounds like a marathon and I think you are up to the task. Especially after contemplating it and finally deciding to do it. thanks for sharing your goal and keep us posted on the progress!
Of course we want to read it!
Post a Comment