Reconsidering Technology

Sometimes the most frustrating experiences can provide a fresh perspective. Such was the case for us today.

We're in the midst of a return visit to beautiful Hilton Head Island. We were here in October 2009, when we were still fulltime RVing newbies in our lil' moose. The island is a beautiful as ever, but there's one thing that's definitely changed. There's tons more traffic! The place is nuts! While we're really enjoying our visit with Paul's uncle and cousin, we are finding ourselves yearning for a simpler, quieter existence.

Our real frustration is with our wireless carrier. AT&T is basically non-existent here. That makes our iphones basically a pair of music and game players and our air card a night light. But, more importantly, it makes us essentially out of touch. We do have great wifi here at the park. But, when we're out roaming around, there's really no way to reach us. And, while there have only been a few stops in our journey where we've parked in a place where we didn't have cell service, I find it nearly impossible to sleep knowing that if either one or both of us faced some kind of emergency during the night, it would be challenging to summon the help we needed.

So, today, we decided to change that. We picked up a Verizon "pay as you go" phone at the local Best Buy. For ten bucks we got a phone and a ten buck credit. Basically, Verizon is giving us a phone and five days of unlimited calling for free! After that, they'll charge us $1.99 per day whenever we use the phone. What a deal!

Back at our rolling home, we fired up the free phone and it displayed several bars. We called our family on the island and gave them the new number. I fired an email off to our immediate family, too. With that, we were back in touch with the world.

With our latest crisis solved, something surprised us. There is something about this little flip phone. It's not at all smart. If somebody sends us an email or updates their Facebook status, this thing will never tell us. If you touch its postage stamp-size screen, nothing happens. Flip it open, and it glows. Push the numbered buttons and it'll make a call. Flip it closed and you can easily put it in a pocket.

It's beautifully simple.

And, there's something we love about that.

So, now we're reconsidering how we use technology. What if we didn't text? What might be different if we didn't have access to our email everywhere we go? What would it be to go on our power walks without music blasting through our earbuds? We're imagining life without Facebook in the palm of our hands, or anywhere at all.

It might be better, actually.

Three years ago, we were shedding ourselves of most of our personal possessions. We traded lots of things we once thought we couldn't live without for a life that left us lighter, leaner and free. At the same time, we made sure we had the latest, greatest technology to take along on the journey. We loaded up without a second thought.

After all, we are early adopters from way back. We've been the first kids on the block to have the latest and greatest computers, phones and other gizmos. The pinnacle of my career came as a result of my courage and craziness in the very early days of the Internet, and Paul's willingness to support all that. When it comes to technology, we embrace it.

We have a long, long way to go before we start pulling any plugs. But, while we're hanging out on this busy little island, we're sure thinking about it.

8 comments:

Laurie and Odel said...

Interesting read. Neither Odel nor I have a smart phone, mostly for the reasons you cited - neither of us text, or want to, and neither of us wants to read email when we are out and about. And yes, we carry our simple little phones in our pockets.

I keep thinking we should upgrade one of the phones to a smartphone, if for no other reason than to keep up with the technology. :) Actually, the reason I WOULD upgrade would to have a browser, for when our GPS takes us to a Costco that isn't there! But the price and learning curve seems too steep.

We DO have an aircard, though, and would not be without it.

Travels with Emma said...

I'm with Laurie and Odel. I have no use for texting or Facebook. I've always had a dumb phone, and there has only been one place I couldn't call 911 in six years.

I also have an aircard. I like technology when it suits me, but it doesn't run my life. I'd rather listen to the sounds of nature...

Gypsy said...

I'm with Laurie, Odel, and Judy. I have a Verizon phone that gets service everywhere service can be gotten, but nothing else except a perfectly useless camera. I'm thinking of going to the Jitterbug which is a plain phone. And life hasn't stopped since I got off Facebook!

cathie said...

Good idea about the Verizon phone. We may do that. Could not give up our iPhones. I love being in touch with my sons and grandkids and extended family through texts, Facebook, emails, Skype, etc. makes me hyperventilate just thinking about not having my iPad and iPhone! :))))

Mike Mills said...

Who would ever have dreamed of the universe of information and the instantaneous worldwide communication that is available with a few taps of an iPhone screen? I cannot help but stand in awe of such collective genius. Once I have obtained my final upgrade and pass to my reward, don't forget to toss my smartphone into my casket, just in case there's a cell tower or wi-fi in heaven.

Sue and Doug said...

where would we be without all the techno gadgets?..maybe just enjoying the view and each other without those darn smart phones getting in the way..
as you know we have the I-phones...but when we travel in the US..we have those good old little flip phones from Verizon..ah yes sometimes I, too like the simpler life!

Merikay said...

Craig has a Smart Phone (Verizon) and I have a flip phone lie you bought (AT&T.) Mine is so that if I have a problem when I'm out and about I can get help. I buy a $25 card every three months and my unused credit rolls over. I think I have about $45 on it now, and I have to load the next card on the First of April. Like your's it is $2.00 for any day I use it.

We have two lines at the house, plus the smart phone with a data plan. That is more than enough telephone coverage!

Tricia (Geeky Explorers) said...

GASP! No email? Status Updates? ;) I will admit that sometimes during our travels I wish it was easier to disconnect but still have the ability to be reached. But then I would be giving up the little blue dot that gets us everywhere in a strange city safely. We love technology & are among the early adopter group - but I get how nice a simple flip phone could be...