Unattended Blogs

I have a bunch of 'em.

First, there's this one. I haven't meant to leave it so high and dry. We did manage to leave Forest City, but we were weren't satisfied with the results of that stop. I never felt like writing about it. We get to make a return trip to Winnie Town the end of this month.  So, maybe I'll catch the blog up on that adventure then. Right now, we're hanging in Kansas City. We're keeping ourselves busy enough and out of trouble, but there just hasn't been much to blog about.

Second, there's Bullwinkle's Travels. I haven't touched that blog since we left Bonifay, Florida a couple of months ago. One of my many "Kansas City To-Dos" is bringing that journal up-to-date. I have lots of great stuff to share. All I need is some time to write it all up.

This week my spare time has been spent on two vintage non-RVing blogs I gave up long ago. It's been so long that Blogger refers to them as "legacy accounts". And, Blogger is about to abandon them. I have until May 25th to bring them back to life, or Blogger says they'll shelve them.

I haven't touched either of these blogs since 2007. While they were great fun for awhile, my interest on the subject matter has waned over time. One of the blogs was all about my early quilting and knitting adventures. Mostly, it chronicled the construction of my most complicated creation: a queen-size double wedding ring quilt. As readers here may recall, I finished the top of this quilt nearly three years ago days before we hit the road. Needless to say, I have little interest in continuing a blog about a quilt that's still not finished after some eight years. I'll finish the quilt some day, but the blog is done.

The other blog was a lot more fun. It was a pundit-style blog on which I published quite regularly for a couple of years. I developed a nice little following, too. But, life got busy and this fun little blog fell by the wayside. I don't have the passion for the topic I once had. So, that neglected project is toast, too.

Although my work on these blogs is done, I really want to save the content. So, with visions of logging on to my ancient Blogger account and taking a minute or two to download my old posts, I went to work to save my work.

Oh, if it could have been that easy!

I couldn't remember the password. So, I requested a reset. Apparently, it was sent to two email accounts that I closed long ago. Blogger offers no direct help to its users, which reminded me of the old saying, "You get what you pay for." With no way to access these soon-to-be-tossed blogs, I resorted to a most tedious process.

Cut and paste.

The quilting blog is all saved. I'm a year into the pundit blog. With Blogger's May 25th deadline looming large, my keyboard-weary fingers are crossed in hopes that I get it all done. I may never again look at this stuff. But, right now, it's worth this time hogging process to save it just in case I do.

Cutting and pasting is mind numbing work. But, it's given me time to think about my life as a blogger. Looking at my blogging history, it seems it's easy for me to be jazzed about my topic for two or three years. Then, my interest fades until I find a new and exciting thing to blog about (like fulltime RVing!). That has me thinking.

Who knows? It might be time to change things up around here. Maybe a different format, or a fresh spin on things. Or, maybe I'll start a totally new blog to attend to.

Whatever the case, I'm grateful for a couple of things: (1) Both of these blogs are backed up regularly; and (2) I have the password to my Blogger account.

That'll save me a lot of time someday.

1 comment:

Sue and Doug said...

did the copy and paste thing with the trip journal website ..so I feel your pain!..hope you get it all done before the deadline!..a new blog?..what fun that would be..maybe I should leave my own unattended for a while..sure would stay out of trouble that way!