Riding Together

I must say, our "big" travel day was so well planned it went off without a hitch!

Yeah, us! We're just out here doin' our jobs!

Our 64-mile travel day was uneventful. Just they way we like it. We faced a pretty stiff Texas breeze as we made our way through Hill Country, but the scenery made up for it all.

Along the way I noticed how much more fun I was having compared to our last travel day. Why? Because we were riding together.

You see, a week or so ago, we made the trek from Kerrville to Boerne separately. After we got the moose inspected, we took off for the 40-mile trip separately. Paul piloted the moose while I drove just ahead with the squirrel.

Have I told you how much I hate that?

I know there are more than a few RVing couples who travel separately on the road. For most of them, it means having an extra set of wheels when they get to their destination. I certainly understand that benefit. And, yeah for them that they can make that work.

But, I gotta tell ya. I hate it!

I mean, really, I hate it.

If I'm in either of the front seats in our moose as it's rolling down the road, I'm as happy as a clam. Whether I'm driving or passengering, I enjoy the view out our sweeping Imax window without giving a second thought to the fact that we are piloting more than 17 tons and nearly 60 feet of vehicles containing our worldly possessions. It's all good.

But, if you put me in our squirrel with the task to drive any distance behind or in front of our moose, I freak out. If I'm in front, I drive with my focus on the rear view mirror. A chorus of "Oh my God, that's our house!" echoes in my head. And, if I follow behind I am struck by how friggin' big our house is. And, for goodness sake, it's all on wheels! How crazy is that?

Most of all, when I find myself in the squirrel separated from the moose, there's somebody I really miss. My husband! Somehow it's just not the same traveling the highways and byways of America separated from my beloved and travel buddy. After all, we're on this journey together. It's just not as much fun when we're apart.

Today was so, so, so much better. The moose had the squirrel in tow. The cats were in their crates. Paul was in the captain's chair and I was in my familiar and quite comfortable seat as the safety director.

All was right with our world.

We were riding together.

6 comments:

Molly and Bob said...

I KNOW exactly what you mean! Love being in those seats together and all is right with the world then!

Hugs, and stay in those seats!

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

I do not think we have ever driven like that on the road:) The only time the coach and car were not attached was if we were going just few miles to drop off the coach for service. I have never seen what the coach looked like going down the road, as I am the only one who has been behind the wheel:(

Sue and Doug said...

ride on together, dear friends..ride on!!

Jim and Linda said...

Linda and I have never traveled over a mile or so separately. We also truly enjoy each others company while traveling.

Jim

heyduke50 said...

Sharon also hates following the home on wheels...

Fred Wishnie said...

I've always wanted to get a car to be able to travel comfortably when we are static, but Jo's not hearing any of it. she absolutely won't consider us traveling separately.
Oh well, if Momma's not happy, no one is happy. :)