Planners

Lots happening around here. We're doing everything from shuffling the contents from one room into another (in preparation of tomorrow's carpet installation) to making a first date with a realtor (set for next Tuesday). Every step of the way, the purging continues.

Today's purge was a major one. I parted with my planners.

Earlier this year, I celebrated clearing out my oversized collection of three-ring binders. As much as I loved my binders, I adored my planners more. And, I had a few of them - in different shapes and sizes and colors of beautiful leather. Once upon a time, I couldn't pass by a Franklin Planner store without going in and buying something. So, yes. I had plenty of accessories, too. The paper contents of said planners spanned several years and were stored in tubs, boxes and drawers.

You're probably asking the same question I asked myself this afternoon: So, exactly why did I keep these things?

"When I write my memoirs, I'll need these," was the answer for awhile. But, today I doubt I'll ever write my memoirs. And, if I do, I don't think it will be vital to know that I had a 2:30 meeting on February 23, 1997 with John Smith. Do you? Another reason I've hung on to these is a connection to a time when work was very satisfying, busy and (at the time I thought) very important. Well, it's time to shred that past and get ready for a much more promising future.

Besides, chances are any memoirs I do write will be more about fulltiming and less about my work through the '90s. And, I promise, it'll be much more interesting!

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

Let's just hope and pray you don't get called before a Senate subcommittee and, OMG, the planner is gone!

Tom and Marci said...

To heck with record retention!!

We are SO MUCH alike! Everytime I read your blog I think, "Yep, that's me!"

Can't wait to meet you on the road someday!

Marci